
There was a table of photos of all the family. She had a stillborn son, 4 daughters, 13 grandchildren and 20 great grandchildren with 2 more on the way. It's always amazing to see how a family expands out of two people like this. (Though technically it didn't start with them, but you know what I mean.)

We gathered as an extended family for a prayer and final goodbyes in the room with the coffin right before the funeral service began. My cousin's husband gave an outstanding prayer that started me crying. I love this picture of my mom and her sisters saying their final goodbye.

The funeral service was quite good and was full of sweet memories of grandma. The great grandchildren did a heart-warming job singing "I Am A Child of God" and I so wish I had a picture of video of that, but I didn't take any.
My mom had recruited me to lead the closing hymn and told me it was "an honor" but I was stressed about it. I have no music skills whatsoever, so though I knew the song was in 3/4 time and that that meant moving my arm in a triangle-type movement I still botched it royally. The organist played the song so slowly that it was hard to know what to do at all, so I kept moving my arm and trying not to laugh. I was afraid if I made eye contact with anyone that I fall into a fit of giggles.

The scene at the cemetery was quite touching with all our family there and the great-grandkids running around together. It wasn't sad at all.

It was a beautiful, though cold day so our time at the cemetery was a chilly affair. Randy and Landon were pall bearers along with my cousins (Adam and others were pall bearers at the mortuary). I think it was an interesting thing for Landon to be a part of, he said, "She was very light, they probably didn't need me or one other guy."

The great-grandkids all got to choose two flowers from the many arrangements at the grave and they thought that was the greatest thing ever (except for Landon and maybe Austin). The girls took it seriously and then carried the flowers around with pride. I hope it helps them remember the day.

My mom (left) and her 3 sisters.
Adam had gone up during the funeral to share memories of grandma (Lori and I didn't) and had been quite funny, so we were complimenting him about it and he ended up doing one of his comedic bragging bits. Also, their reviews of my abysmal music leading are now documented forever.

After the funeral we all went back to the church for a lunch put on by the women in my grandma's ward. The food was surprisingly good, and the women were very nice. My grandma hadn't actually gone to church in the last few years because of her illness, so this seemed extra nice.

This is a photo of all the great-grandchildren except for one (who was home with a babysitter).

This is a photo of all of the grandchildren except for Andrew who was home with a babysitter. There were multiple cameras going so everyone is looking somewhere else.
As we were leaving the luncheon I scanned the room (out of habit) looking for grandma because I wanted to make sure we said goodbye before leaving, I guess I'm going to have to get used to her not being there.
20 comments:
the mexican comment was hilarious. just the right mix of inappropriateness and deadpan humor.
That video was pretty darn funny. It looks like it was a nice day given what you were doing.
oh. my. gosh. i laughed out loud so hard my cat came running to check on me!!! that video of adam displaying his comedic bragging rights made my day- and i agree, the mexican comment was just out of the blue- i nearly peed myself.
i think it's a good thing when funerals are not so sad and when people can be happy. there's always an element of sadness, but the ability to laugh, to remember fun memories, and to be happy is also good at those times. then again, i think it's the irish in me that makes me want to turn each funeral into a wake....
and i'm disappointed there is no video display of your conducting skills!
The photo of your mom and her siblings from the back is beautiful! When I worked as the pastoral care social worker at our church in TX I often helped with the funeral receptions and I had no idea how much was involved with that until I had that position!
That's really sweet that you were looking for Grandma to say goodbye.
I think it's nice that Landon could be a pallbearer and that the girls had the flowers to remember the service. They loved that.
The music leading was hilarious and I can only say that b/c I have been in that position myself when I was talked into substituting in Primary for the music leader. NEVER again. I thought the woman playing the organ was hilarious. What was she playing 6/8 time? It reminded me of the little woman in 16 candles who plays the organ.
I forgot that Mattie wasn't in the photo of the great- grandchildren. I am going to have to edit my post about that.
Still so strange that we were pretty much doing the same thing on Friday. Sounds like a beautiful service and tribute to your sweet grandma (: Great pictures too, I really need to get with my sister who has all the pictures from my mom's services so I can post them too. (: I think it's so cute that you were scanning for her, it's so hard not to do those kinds of things.
LOL...LOL...I am almost at a loss for words. LOL
Ok then Landon's comment- funny, real and so adult yet childlike.
I think it is great to have happy memories along with sad. Most of all the end of your post was sweet.
I am sorry to hear about your granmda, Jill.
The post title, "3/4 Time & a Funeral" reminds me of "3 Weddings & a Funeral." You are SO funny, Jill! There is a never-ending well of dry humor in you.
Be back tomorrow to give the rest of my comments.
My condolences to you & your family on the loss of Grandma Dot. The funeral sounds like it was just right; a good send-off to a woman who's life was well lived. And what a blessing for her to have been able to look at you all and see her legacy--an amazing family :)
It looks like you guys had a really nice day. I love when funerals are like that. It took me a long time to quit going to the phone to call my grandma and to be able to drive through her town without a pit in my stomach when I remembered we couldn't stop.... I did just realize that I have quit checking every *** truck for Dave.
It is so cute that the girls got to take flowers. Jessica loves that too. Let's face it so does Jimmy... he still carries one from Dave's graveside in his truck.
The photo of your mom and her sisters saying their final goodbye is just priceless, Jill. Perfect.
I can't believe Landon was a pallbearer! How many 10 year olds have an experience like that?
The video was the best yet. My favorite part was Amy's incredulous look at the end!
It's so great when funerals can have celebration and fun and humor to help balance out the loss.
Your last sentence made me oh so sad. I can't imagine the day when that will be me, looking to my grandma and finding that she's gone...
I love your mom and aunts saying their final goodbyes. It's always such a heart breaking thing to watch.
I had no idea you actually got me on the video. Such a shame that it's my face that has to be the screen shot. It's funny though, not as funny as your leading would have been on film.
Your last paragraph so touching.
oh jill, the last paragraph touched my heart. i still look for my grandmother at family functions...
I love it when funerals can be happy like that--a celebration of life. Your Grandma Dot must have been an amazing woman!
I hate leading music, especially slow songs. I feel for you.
That video was hilarious. Seriously!
Yeah, not wanting to leave without saying good bye to your Grandma. Very touching.
(You seemed Mexican? Whaa?)
Girls abound both grandkid and great grandkid!
Adam is a funny brother. No wonder he makes you laugh!
I too love the photo of your mom and her sisters. What a sweet moment to catch.
Oops! I'm logged in as my mom....That's me above posting as Granny DeeAnn, ha
It sounds like it was a great service for your Grandma.
That video was a crack-up!
I'm so sorry for your loss! She sounded like an amazing and well-loved woman.
Adam cracks me up- but the look on Amy's face is priceless.
It looks like is was such a great service for her and your family. Your last paragraph makes my heart ache. I do the same thing when leaving something that my grandma is at and I can see myself doing the same thing once she is gone.
Post a Comment