Saturday, January 17, 2009

Creative Friday--Tutorial Edition

Since Michelle is on the mend (though still sounds bad when she coughs) we were able to get together for our first Creative Friday of the New Year yesterday.


Michelle worked on making a bunch of her fabulous birthday tags. The poor girl had to spend a lot of time on the computer reformatting them since she lost some fonts and programs when her computer crashed last month. Oh the joy of redoing work that's already been done!


Michelle made us Chili, Chips and Cheese for lunch, and it proved to be a hot and hearty meal for a cold, winter day. Check out her new Christmas silverware.


One of my favorite parts of Creative Friday is that I'm surrounded by supplies that I love. There's satisfaction in actually using them (rather than just buying them or owning them) and it's a treat to know I get to do that once a week.


Marc was home because he's been sick this week and actually went in for a CT Scan of his sinuses. Hopefully they'll figure out what's wrong with him and get it taken care of once and for all. This is the baggie of medicines he packed to take with him for the day out at the Sundance Film Festival. I kept laughing at him as he added more and more to it and how he said the names of different ingredients he needed to help him feel better. He knows them all!


Lucas was home sick too, but didn't get off the couch the entire time I was there, 4.5 hours! He is such a good patient, he just lies quietly on the couch playing video games, never asking for anything or saying much. We forget he's there (at least I do).


Oh the happy sight of our table covered in goodness. (Click to enlarge and enjoy).


Michelle has offered numerous times to give me a Photoshop Tutorial since I am always admiring her blog banners and wishing I had better skills. She ended up creating my January blog banner (did you recognize her influence when you saw it?) and teaching me several things I didn't know. I told her she should start a little business designing blog banners for people, don't you agree?


Miss Eva took a good nap and woke up pretty happy just as I had to leave. Our first Wonderful Wednesday outing is coming up next week, so I am hoping she'll be in the mood to spend the day with me.



**Do you like chili, chips and cheese?
Do you get giddy when you actually use your supplies?
Do you think Michelle could design blog banners for money?**

26 comments:

j said...

this has to be one of my favorite photos of michelle and you. and really- how can someone look THAT good when they are sick? not fair. sick or healthy, it's a beautiful photo.
i'm glad you got to have creative friday! and yes- she should so do blog banners. talented, she is.
i tend to try to forget medication ingredients. i usually can't pronounce them, so i just take the pill. :)

Doodle Bugs said...

Yes to all three of those questions!

Love your blog banner. When I saw that picture of your family a couple of posts back- I loved it. Such a rare and fun picture to have.

I also noticed in the picture of Michelle sitting at the table the little yellow and green crayola tin box on the corner of her table. ... I have that same little box. (ironically with craft supplies tucked inside). The box is probably 15-20 years old. And it had a set of special colors made by crayola with crazy names. I still have the colors too!!

Ann On and On... said...

I will be a customer if she wants to start a little business. Your header is awesome. Question: Is her lipstick always perfect? Or, does she apply before SP time? I think she is faking it, no one is suppose to look that good sick. :D

At one point in my life I like owning cool crafts...now I love using them. Question(s): (again) Do you cart your items back and forth? Does Michelle sell things on Etsy? That reminds me... I have to order some things from you. :D

I love veggie chili, chips and cheese. What a yummy mess!

Holly said...

Oh yes, chili is the best comfort food--especally with chips and cheese.

I need to be using my craft supplies more regularly, they are full of more joy when they are used.

Love that new banner--the reading family!!

Denise said...

YES! Michelle should go into the blog banner design business, or at least teach classes on the subject. I love your new banner and the minute I saw it thought, 'I wish I knew how to do those cool graphic things that Jill and Michelle do!'

I love being surrounded by my supplies. And, as suggested, I did click on your photo to enlarge the goodness. There is something about using all your supplies that is really satisfying.

Lisa R.D. said...

I love using my supplies too--it's fun to buy them, but it's more fun to see what I can make out of them.

I love your banner and agree that Michelle could make and sell them for blogs. Are you reading "Loving Frank"? If so, I'm curious to hear your opinion about it (I read it last year).

Robyn said...

We LOVE chili, chips and cheese! A meal my kids cheer for! It's so fast and easy. Great for a winter's day.

Michelle has got a great skill set. Too bad she lost all that work on her computer- that would kill me! I would line up to be her first customer for the blog banner- I could use a little spice in my blog. Hers always look fabulous.

That's so sad that they are all so sick. I can totally empathize with Marc on the sinus thing. I took all those drugs and they still didn't help me- so I hope he is at least finding some relief with all those meds!

michelle said...

Well, what do you know? I clicked over to your blog and found pictures of me that I do NOT hate!! It's a miracle! (I think it may have something to do with the fact that it was the first day that I wore makeup in almost two weeks and it's such a huge transformation. That or the camera was just kind to me. I think I deserved it.)

I really hope I didn't just tell you stuff you already knew about Photoshop, my knowledge is so limited. I felt kind of stupid after you left, because maybe you were just humoring me! I had fun, though.

And I think it's a huge compliment that you think I could do that for money.

Lucas is a great patient, isn't he? Oh, and just wait until you find out what Marc's scan revealed...

Natasha said...

Okay, that is just wrong that Michelle's family is always so sick - so not fair! I love your new banner!!

2 Green Eyed Girls said...

I love the SP the two of you took, it's an equally great picture of both of you. Certainly frame-worthy!
And yes to Michelle being able to do a business making banners, and chilli, chips & cheese.

Susan said...

I love hearing about your creative Fridays and admit that I am often slightly jealous that I cannot be there!

I love all of Michelle's banner designs....mine being one of them!
My friend Linda Giler said to me not long ago,"I know this is king of bad to think, and that Michelle is doing what is best (motherhood),but she could be making A LOT of money!" I guess we all agree that she had the gift. I, for one, am going to capitalize on this gift for my business email designs! She does awesome work. But then again, I've never seen anything that you have done that I didn't think the same thing about!

When I retire, can I be a groupie?

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful SP of the two of you! I love that. Amy and I have met for a creative Friday for the last two weeks, and both of our SP sessions have been disastrous! Oh my word -- we need a joint SP tutorial. And I need a photoshop tutorial as well. I love your new banner! And are you reading Loving Frank? I'm reading that right now, too. I'll be interested to know what you think about it.

patsy said...

I love the banner michelle made for you- I thought you did it & even had hailey come over & look at it when I brought it up the other day- i forgot about that.

so glad you are back to your friday schedule- I'm not a big chili fan unless it's homemade, which my kids don't like....

I Never Know the ingredient so medicine & never realized any real people really do know the ingredients, until now-

Besides paying for the banners, which is genious- I would pay for those gift tags, seriously!!!

great pictures

Bond Girl 007 said...

hey missy, I do love your banner it is sooo YOU and I received a wonderful thing today! Thank you. Thank you and yes, there is something cool about geting something in January...except that I only actually got on physical christmas present from Tracey and Danny, can you believe that? Under the whole TREE! Thank goodness my mum gave me a wonderful 200 dlls check....maybe I will get my microderbersion after all...so THANK YOU. it was sooo sweet. Alf was supposed to give me something...but he said it is lost (???)
I agree that Michelle looks really cute too bad she has been soo sick and that picture of you two is darling also!

Nikki said...

Another great day for you guys.. and another one for the rest of us to envy! :)
That SP is great- you should frame it!
Michelle (and you) have a natural eye for design and beauty. I've had photoshop for a year now and have hardly even played around with it. Sad. I need a tutor too! Love the banner!

Jordan said...

I loved reading your family goals and think your new banner is totally radical.

charlotte said...

Glad to hear Michelle was well enough for a Creative Friday! And she totally could design blog banners for money.

Tasha said...

Michelle could totally design blog banners for money. I don't have the patience to learn and it makes me head hurt just thinking about it, I'd gladly pay her to do it for me!

I do love using my supplies!

Becky said...

I love your new banner and would love one of Michelle's tutorials since I always love her banners as well (I lurk far too often on her blog without leaving comments! Why?). Your family looks so cozy in that photo....

Your chili looks like a meal I make called chili casserole that is one of my favorites (chili beans, Fritos, and melted cheese). Yummy!

I get so much satisfaction out of using my craft supplies that I could probably compare it to a "runner's high"! :) Love this post and I hope that everyone gets well soon so that you can keep up with your Creative Fridays.

Liz said...

Michelle making blog banners for money? Definitely! She's got creativity and talent!

rmt said...

I LOVE your new blog banner, so yes, I definitely think Michelle could design them for money.

Chili, chips, and cheese sounds so good! It kind of looks like the taco soup that I make. Yummy.

Looks like another wonderful Creative Friday!

Unknown said...

we had a Creative Saturday, and i'm so glad we did! thanks for the inspiration :)

shannon said...

I always anticipate your creative friday posts! I love seeing what fun projects you and Michelle work on and what yummy things you have for lunch...I'm glad that Michelle is back in the swing of things.

Yes! I'd say that the table is definately covered in goodness...

You're new banner is great! I'm sure it brings back that cute family night memory that you guys had...great idea to make that your banner!

Barb said...

I had my hopes up that you were offering a tutorial of some kind :-)
Your new banner looks great, such a wonderful family moment.

everything pink! said...

michelle could design 1 million things for money but blog banners is just one of them

i get insanely jealous of having a girlfriend to do stuff like that with and remind myself i am lucky to get you guys for a few days once a year. you two are just such a great pair

i love using items i have bought too, since they get looked at often more than used.

tell marc to call jeff if he needs any sinus advice

carlo said...

we thought about the two of you the entire time during our Creative Saturday last weekend.

thank you for highlighting something so special-- it really is awesome to take the time to do something like this each week.

such creative genius!