Friday, September 11, 2009

Five for Friday--Good Times Edition


1. Landon finally received Adam's old iPod and got it all synced up with our music library; to say he is excited about it would be a serious understatement. It was so nice of Adam to give this to him!


2. We had our first visit from Gifford, the hoochie coochie college boy, last Saturday. I asked him about a million questions about his new life at BYU. I know there will be an adjustment period for him (he's not used to be surrounded by so many Mormons!) but luckily he really likes his roommate. While going to the pantry to get him some AAA batteries for his calculator (he couldn't find any on campus) he mentioned that he forgot to buy baggies and stuff like that. I had been feeling awful that we hadn't given him anything for his high school graduation yet, so this was my chance to redeem ourselves and help him at the same time. I hooked him up with baggies, foil, press-n-seal, refried beans (he wanted them), a huge thing of peanuts, toilet paper, and Scrubbing Bubbles. I love it that he was so excited about all of it. If we'd have given him all of that stuff back in June he wouldn't have thought it was lame, but now after being on his own and poor for 2 weeks he is!


3. Whitney spent Labor Day learning how to sew thanks to my mom. She came home with these 3 adorable, little pillows (I've claimed the blue one because it's so soft) and was beyond thrilled with her new skills and resulting creations.


4. This is what I had for lunch yesterday, Homestyle microwave popcorn (my favorite) with Skittles mixed in. I devoured it.


5. Last night Lori and I headed to Freakin Eagle Mountain (driving into the sun as it set and moving in very slow traffic) to attend Amie's "Favorite Things" party. I have read about these parties on various blogs, but had never been to one before. We all brought 5 of our favorite $5 items to swap (by drawing names) and came home with 5 favorites from someone else. It was brilliant!


These are the goodies I came home with, a jackpot of stuff from coupon savvy Amie which included a new eyelash curler (yipee), Crystal Light and a cute container to make it in, Air Wick scent stuff, plus refill, and a big, glass dispenser with dish soap in it (she put us all to shame with this bounty of goodness). I also got a package of Allium bulbs that I'm very excited about, one of Melinda's darling Halloween banners, a Sonic gift card from new blogging friend Linda (woohoo), and 3 new combs and a bag of bobby pins from hair dresser Heidi. It was quite the score!


I felt lame because I gave a green cup with pebble ice, a stack of quote cards, a Uniball smooth writing black pen, a package of mini tissues and some bite size Twix candy bars. Theoretically I thought these were good items, but they didn't appear as great next to all the great stuff I got, dang it.



**Have you ever been excited about baggies & foil?
Who taught you how to sew?
Do you love soft fabrics?
Do you hate driving into the setting sun?
Have you ever been to a Favorite Things Party?**

Comment Window Tidbit: I slept so great last night except for the couple times Randy and I ended up facing in the same direction. His man cold has caused his snoring and exhaling to become toxic!

22 comments:

Laurie said...

Very cute stuff. I've been invited but haven't attended a Favorite Things party. I'm kinda overwhelmed at figuring out 5 things to give for $5/piece.

My grandma taught me how to sew but I didn't keep at it and lost all technique.

I remember being blinded by the sunset in Utah!

Unknown said...

i get excited about toilet paper and laundry detergent. it can all be going to hell in a handbasket, but if we have TP and soap, i'm pretty darn happy...

Denise said...

I have never even heard of a Favorite Things party, but the last birthday gift I gave was a box full of my favorite things. Sounds like a fun party idea, though!

My mother taught me to sew when I was in 5th grade and it is a skill that has served me well and brought me much satisfaction (in addition to a moderate amount of frustration) over the years. I'm not one bit athletic, but I've always claimed to be on the Varsity Sewing Team. Yes, I love soft fabrics, too.

I absolutely HATE driving into the setting sun!

patsy said...

The favorite thing part idea sounds like a blast!

I love your "favorite thing"-

I started sewing years ago-- and it has taken all those years to get even a little decent at it!
good job whitney on the pillows!!! maybe she has a better teacher than I did?

Tice said...

I *love* Homestyle popcorn. But I've never tried it with skittles. My candy of choice for mix ins is usually Dark Chocolate Peanut M&M's. I'm intrigued...

Rebekah said...

Getting used to all the Mormons was so hard for me my first two or three years at BYU. It's still hard sometimes, but not hard hard.

Yes, I would be over the moon about baggies and foil. I don't think teenagers realize the true cost of real life until they have to buy the things they're just used to always seeing and having at home. Light bulbs, dish soap, spices (so flipping expensive!), all kinds of baggies...oi.

I am still learning how to sew. I am not at the level yet where I can say that I know how to sew.

Jealous! I have wanted a blanket made out of that very same fabric for a long time! I almost made one when I was down here, but didn't in the end. What a nice little pillow.

Grr, I hate driving into the sun. I don't know how people don't crash and die every day.

I was in a favorite things swap through a blog once. It was awesome. Um, Jilly poo, why don't you organize one? It could be like a good mail thing, but for favorite things. People would love that. :) Pretty please?

Linda said...

I'm intrigued by the Favorite Things get together. Were there 5 of you involved so that's why you had to bring 5 items? I'd love to host one of these parties.

Linda said...

Jill, I just went back and re-read your post. I see that you drew names. This really sounds like a fun thing to do.

jenn said...

I have been thrilled with baggies and foil! And would have been thrilled with your favorite things item- I don't know why you feel shamed!! I took a full semester of sewing at BYU and still feel like I am waiting for someone to teach me! I'm so sad I missed last night- is it too soon to plan the next one?!!

Anna said...

I LOVE throwing a Favorite Things party twice a year!

Price Cream Parlor said...

Anna is so good about doing this a few times a year. I have done it twice and had the best time. I love to see what people claim as their favorite things...

A fun new cup and pebble ice is a great idea!!

Good to hear that you were sleeping better last night - hear you on the snoring, exhaling - but does he stop breathing too? (just till the count of 10 then back again! Yes, I count...) That is just a bonus feature that we have at our home! Joy! ha

Always excited about baggies, foil, detergent, etc. I am easily pleased.

michelle said...

I love that picture of Landon. So sweet that he got Adam's ipod. I love that Whitney is learning to sew! She is a future Project Runway contestant, with her creativity and newfound skills, she's a shoo-in!

My mom taught me to sew, but I don't consider myself a good seamstress. Definitely not as good as she is. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention. In any case, I enjoy sewing and would love to get better at it.

The party looks like fun! I know I would looooove one of those cups of pebble ice right about now...

Amy said...

The world of crafting just busted wide open for Whitney! Go out and buy that girl a needle, some thread and an old sheet from DI. I'm sure she'll come up with something amazing!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh gee, I had things I planned to say but by the time I've scrolled through and read the comments and your comment header . . . well, it all flew out the window. Hmmmmm....

I can appreciate Landon's newfound enthusiasm after having an ipod for three years but finally using it this year. Oh, oh. What great company they are. Good for Landon.

I have read about the favorite things party on other blogs and think they sound fun, too. Would you mind explaining exactly how it works?

Ahhhh, timing is everything with a gift, don't you agree? What a great gift idea for your nephew.

I think we must be kith and kin. I do love popcorn for a meal.

brooke said...

What a great idea for a party. Looks like you got some good loot.

I just want to say that I love the Man Cold link you posted. It is one of my favorites. I watched it again and just laughed. It hits close to home.

shannon said...

Man cold! I'm dying...that is so funny! These little comment headers you do are the best!

Love that you made up an essentials box for Gifford...Can you believe I still haven't tried press-n-seal?

We did a favorite things night with our Relief Society a few years ago, but it wasn't nearly the success of yours...I like the idea of just doing it in a more intimate setting...I think what you brought for your favorite things was great!

Those pillows are so cute! The blue polka dot chanille one is my favorite...I remember making pillows for everyone at Christmas one year when I was about Whitney's age...(that was the year that my future career as a seamstress came to a screechig halt)--I lack sewing skills in a big way...

becca said...

He is a very cute "hoochie koochie" college boy! You gave him the very best present a new college student could have!! And you are right...it would not have been appreciated in June, but now....well, now you are his new favorite for sure! :)

I am glad the party was fun. I haven't talked to Amie, and I am dying to hear about it!! Amie is AMAZING when it comes to finding deals!

And by the way....I think the things you brought sound FABULOUS! It that not the best party idea ever? I want to have one every few months :)

Natasha said...

That pic of Landon is adorable!

Skittles in popcorn? Never tried that one. But m&ms. . . yum!

I love Gifford's name and it's so true that once you are on your own tp is something to get excited about!

Btw, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the thirtysomething CD you gave me and no I did not have it yet. Thanks!

Kelly said...

Landon and Whitney both look like they've had a great week. An ipod and learning to sew are both wonderful gifts.

That's great that you could hook your nephew up! I'm sure you're right that he would not have had the same appreciation for these items in June. Funny how quickly things like that change.

I think your Favorite things sound wonderful. I'm such a fan of pebble ice, and your quote cards are fantastic. That's the fun of those parties -- people bring such a great assortment of things.

amy gretchen said...

Glad Landon is enjoying the ipod and the cash.

I wish I could have gone to Amie's party. I really wanted to, but couldn't make it work out.

Charlotte said...

Gifford definitely doesn't think that such necessities are lame now! How nice of you to stock him up like that. Speaking as a current college student, gifts of necessities are never under-appreciated!

Anonymous said...

So exciting for Whitney!!! My mom taught me to sew, and is still teaching me. I wish I would have learned sooner.

I am sad I couldn't make it to Amie's party- it was the ONE night I had stuff last week. It looks awesome and I would totally dig a cup of pebble ice right now! SO fun!