Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Like a Staycation but Different


Remember how Cute Collette gave our book club an overnighter for Christmas? Well, last Friday and Saturday it came to fruition (I love that word) close to home at Thanksgiving Point.


Collette checked in first (she'd taken the day off work) and had an hour in the room by herself to read and enjoy the quiet, then Michelle and I arrived and all of that ended.


We went over to the movie theater to catch "Dear John" at 5:00 (Jana and Jenn were going to meet us there, while Amy was at her daughter's dance recital) but we found that there were no good seats left in the theater (thanks to this theater's system of seat reservation we could see this BEFORE buying our tickets). $%#@!


We would have happily seen "When in Rome" at 6:00 instead, but Collette's husband had made her promise NOT to see that movie. So an hour into our getaway we were cursing his name..."Damn Travis!" and abandoning our plans.


We got popcorn to go because the smell was just too intoxicating and we were hungry. I've never done that before.


Jana and Jenn soon joined us back at the hotel room. (They were delayed because they'd taken balloons and a birthday banner to Amy's house so she could secretly decorate the room while we were at the movie--plan foiled!)


It was quite funny when Amy and her kids (Kaitlin dressed for her Hoe Down number) arrived to stealthily decorate the room but found all of us there! We just made Collette close her eyes while they brought everything in.


So the 5 of us sat in our little lounge area (3 of us wedged on the sofa) and talked for an hour and a half while Amy was at the recital. There was some laughing, some gasping, and some what thes?!


As we got ready to leave to meet Amy at JCW's for dinner, Collette finally wandered over to the bedroom side of our suite and saw the decorations.


Amy got individual bundt cakes for dessert and Jenn brought this stand.


JCW's was totally packed with people so we had to wait in line for awhile, but it was sooo worth the wait!


It was so loud and busy in there that we didn't even make a dent in the noise level.


We were finally all together in the hotel room after dinner.


Which is where Collette gave us a little demonstration of this teasing comb her friend invented.


Amy gave us our Christmas presents which she adapted to fit Valentine's Day instead. She's a creative genius!


We sat around and talked for quite awhile.


I enjoy detail shots like this.


We rearranged the furniture and borrowed 2 chairs from downstairs so we could play Quiddler. I can't remember what was so funny and I'm bugged my finger got in the way of the lens, but I still like this picture of Amy and Michelle laughing.


Michelle brought her homemade Artisan bread with spinach dip for our late-night munchie needs.


It turns out that Jana's Scrabble expertise made her a natural with Quiddler even though she'd never played it before! I can't say I enjoy this skill of hers.


We began our book discussion around 11:00pm, which is pretty normal for us. We all loved the book.


Jenn's treat invention of a raspberry inside a double stuffed Oreo was sooooo good!

We finally retired around 2:00am for a fitful and overheated night's "sleep". There was a symphony of snoring going on, yet none of us felt like we'd slept much when we woke up Saturday morning.


Collette was the first one up and showered (around 8:00am!) and had even gone downstairs to get some orange juice before any of us were up.

Eventually we all woke up, but continued to lounge and talk while we took turns getting ready.


I finally had to open the window and had to be happy with the 5 inches it opened!! I felt like drowning person gasping for air!


Then someone suggested we turn on the air conditioner, and all was right with the world again! My make-up didn't take because I was too hot, and my hair was weird because of the soft water at the hotel. I can't get a break!


Amy and Jenn cut up the little bundt cakes so we could sample all of them...that's my kind of breakfast!


We finally got our stuff packed up and got ourselves presentable and left our room at 11:30.


We were all bugged we hadn't taken our self-portrait the night before when we were still relatively cute, but oh well.


Our 2nd attempt at seeing "Dear John" was successful, though I can tell you that Nicholas Sparks books and movies are NOT my thing! Here are my pros and cons from this movie.

Pros
Channing Tatum is HOT!
The scenery was beautiful!
Some of the movie was about writing letters and there was a montage of mail-related scenes which I loved.

Cons
The story was totally formulaic and manipulative.

Alternative titles I came up with...
She Had A Choice!
We'll Try to Make You Weepy
Manipulation
Give Me A Break


Even though it could have been a made for TV movie, we still managed to see a movie all together so it was a success.


After the movie, Collette, Jana and Amy all had to leave, so that left Michelle, Jenn and I to fend for ourselves. We went over to the deli at Thanksgiving Point for lunch and to teach Jenn how to play the game we play using Skip-Bo cards, I don't know what it's really called.


We ended up staying in our corner booth playing and talking for 2 hours! Then Jenn had to leave, and Michelle and I wandered around the Emporium for an hour before heading home. Good times.

**Thoughts??**

Comment Window Tidbit: I've made Miracle Bread and sugar cookies today, how about that?

18 comments:

michelle said...

Ooh, you made sugar cookies?? That's on my list of things to do this week.

Yet again, you have managed to capture the whole event, with all the details and the feel of the getaway. It's a gift.

Your alternate titles for the movie are so appropriate. I forgot about the "mail porn" section, that was a definite pro. And that scene in the rain wasn't all that bad. But otherwise... I am just not a fan of Nicholas Sparks either. Still it was fun to see a movie together!

Our self-portrait just about has me convinced that I need to straighten my hair every day.

Anna said...

Fun over night retreat with friends. You should have seen When In Rome - I thought it was surprisingly funny. Those mini bundt cakes are adorable. Can't wait to read The Help. The oreo with raspberry sounds like a genius idea - can't wait to try it. I LOVE all your possible movie titles for Dear John. :)

Unknown said...

JCW's looks like heaven! Why have I never eaten there?

Please tell me how to play your new game with skip-Bo cards. Always wanting something new!

Your stinking cute!

Melinda said...

I am so impressed with the cookies & bread! Way to go. I wish I could do at least one of them.

This weekend looks divine! Seriously, it is amazing what a good girls weekend can do for the soul. Sooo jealous!

Charlotte said...

I love your alternate movie titles! Nicholas Sparks has NEVER been my thing.

Kristine said...

I love Thanksgiving Point's Emporium. I only go when I come to visit my mom who lives in PG, but it's delightful in every sense. :)

I'm wanting to call up my closest friends and plan a weekend away.

I LOVE that you got to do this!
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Natasha said...

Popcorn To Go-- I love that idea!!

This looks so fun, a night with friends with no kid or spouse interruptions. What a great gift idea Collette had!

Ashley said...

What a fun night! I am laughing that your make-up "didn't take." And thanks for sparing me from Dear John. I even like Nicholas Sparks books (I know, I know, sue me) but I can't stand cheesey formulaic chick flicks. Those LOVE banners Amy made are adorable. You have such creative/devoted friends.

Michelle said...

You are quite the domestic goddess!

What a fabulous weekend - minus the movie. I can't stand Nicholas Sparks...you couldn't pay me to see the movie.

I want to learn your Skip-Bo game too. It looks like a game I learned years ago called "Golf" but I can't remember the details.

jenny said...

Too bad a bout the movie, When in Rome is actually quite enjoyable. Looks like a great bookclub getaway! I am loving Amy's belated Christmas gifts. Darling.

Barb said...

Okay, next time I don't enjoy a movie I'm going to play the alternate title game, that was funny.

Holly said...

I've never gotten popcorn to go--you could start a trend. :)

This sounds like the perfect girlfriend getaway filled with your favorite things (mine too) (except for maybe the cheesy, manipulative movie of course).

Bond Girl 007 said...

Hey what a fantastic BANNER.....jejjejejjejejjejjee Looks mighty familiar! What a great ocassion to get together with friends. Happy Birthday Collette. Sounds like a fabulous soiree. I think Travis should have joined you in a two hour brake to Rome! Funny girl! And all the girls look beautiful, although that spt picture out in the COLD parking lot? Emporium??? ohhhhh my, one of these days!

Becky said...

Your comment window tidbit is making me hungry!

The overnighter looks like such a blast! What a treat for you guys. I am definitely overdue for something like that :)

I laughed at your alternate titles for the movie--you have such a great sense of humor, Jill.

P.S. I have been enjoying my new CD of music and can't wait to get a thank-you card in the mail for you--thank you!!

Rebekah said...

I give Nicholas Sparks all the credit in the world for being a genius business man. He's found his niche, and by golly, he has worked it.

I don't know if I would ever call him a writer, per se...

shannon said...

Love your mini-retreat recap...
I always look forward to seeing the pictures you take of the little things... like score sheets from a game or the one where your hair is blowing from the a/c...
I never think to take those kinds of pictures, but they are the ones that tell the real story...

I cannot STAND Nicholas Sparks either! ugh!
I would have been cursing Collette's husband, too!

Kim Sue said...

what a wonderful idea...a little overnighter with the girl-friends. that is awesome.

Amy said...

Such a fun weekend, but why didn't we turn on the AC earlier? What a waste!

I Iove how you got a picture of me looking all double chinned as I'm just about to chow down on a huge JCWs hamburger. You did that on purpose!

Just kidding.

I have to admit I'm a sucker for Nicholas Sparks movies. I don't know why. I've never read one of his books. I like being emotionally manipulated every once in a while I guess. And they get the most delicious leading men! I think you would have liked the ending from the book better.

***SPOILER ALERT***


They don't get together in the book. Her husband doesn't die and she makes the right choice. At least that part is redeeming. . . a little.