Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Little Bit of Culture

Despite having a very busy day full of outdoor activities (Lori's work carnival and Activity Days) we still managed to make it (I really should say "I" managed to make it) to a free concert at our local amphitheater that evening. I have always wanted to go to a concert there, but tend to forget about them until summer passes so we've never been. But last night's concert was special because a member of our Bishopric was conducting the orchestra and Jenny Oaks Baker was performing with them.


We arrived 45 minutes early and got excellent seats. It's a rock amphitheater, but our low-lawn chairs fit perfectly (at least for me and the kids, Randy not so much) on the steps so we were very comfortable. I got a little reading done while we waited for the show to start.


I felt sorry for the musicians who had the setting sun on their faces while they played, but loved the way it made their instruments shine.


How often does a cello see the sun shine?


I have taken people's pictures at this amphitheater many, many, many times, but loved being there for its actual purpose; it was a gorgeous setting for a concert.


Brother Pew is adorable! He is the one Randy and I sent thank you notes to recently for sharing his musical talents with our ward (he directed the Elders in a glorious number one Sunday).


Jenny was amazing! It's remarkable that she doesn't need to look at any music. She played all these beautiful, complicated pieces of music from memory.


It was nice to be able to expose the kids to something like this. I always think we're going to go to things like this, but usually cost is a factor. After listening to the first 10 numbers, I let them go run with their friends. There is a big park area back behind the stage where kids were running and playing while their parents listened to the music; it felt magical and very family friendly.


It was a great night! I was as delighted with the concert as I was with the fact that we actually did something like this. So many times just getting out of the house is a victory, but especially on a hot, busy day like this had been.

**Have you been to something like this?
Do you enjoy violin music?
Do your good intentions get the best of you?**

Good Mail Winners
16--Ashley
29--Miss Tiffy Lee
18--Charity
10--Laurie B.
22--Esther

Comment Window Tidbit: I couldn't fall asleep until after 3:00am last night, @#$!. I was cutting canteloupe and listening to my audiobook at 2:30am, that's just not right.

15 comments:

Melinda said...

This would have been such a great night out. We have done a few things like this with the Springville stuff they put on. I like exposing my kids to new things. My parents used to take me to the Long Beach theater and then one year for Christmas they got us all tickets to see Phantom of the Opera in LA. I loved it.

I do enjoy violin music.
always do my good intentions get the best of me. It's a constant battle.

michelle said...

I haven't been to an outside orchestra concert, I think it would be delightful! (It it wasn't hot, which goes without saying.) I love violin music, and cello, of course. This looks like a great location, especially if kids can run around without distracting everyone.

I do battle with my good intentions daily. Wouldn't it be nice if I could just stop fighting it?

Unknown said...

I sent the link for this post to Jenny Oaks Baker. I'm a friend of hers on facebook and thought this last photo was stunning. I'm sure she will love it!

amy gretchen said...

What a great experience. I hope to be able to do more of this when the girls are a bit older.

Can you believe Bella has meet and played (with about 500 other kids) with Jenny? She's amazing.

ps I've been up since 2am. Not sure what is worse, going to bed and 9am and not sleeping or waking up at 2am and having to be up by 7am. either way I'm exhausted.

patsy said...

I JUST bought her new CD on my birthday last week!!! WE listened to it all day Sunday & loved it.

She is amazing-
I love doing things like this... love it-
we have tickets for the whole family to see Earth, Wind & Fire out of doors next month- sweet!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I love violin music. I do believe it adds so much to anything.

I'm so glad you went to an outdoor concert. I always feel they make an ordinary day so rich.

3:00? Whoa. That's late. Or early, depending on how you look at it. But cantaloupe and audio book would make any hour bearable.

As for the great return of the landini, that was the sweetest seeing/hearing him cry when he hugged Randy. Nothing like family. Nothing. Not even scout camp :)

Elizabeth said...

What a great setting!

Robyn said...

I think it's so cool that you guys went. It looks like it was totally worth it! I'm going to have to check out what's coming up soon so we can go too. I love the outdoor setting!

j said...

oh wow. what a great concert! i love violin music. i played when i was younger- but never well- so i always like to listen to people who can really play.

my intentions always get the best of me! of course. :)

Michelle said...

Wow - what a great turn out! I hope it wasn't too hot.

I think that is a great summer activity.

shannon said...

There's something completely magical about outdoor concerts...
I loved going to them in Central Park when we lived in NY...they even had Opera in the Park (which as much as I hate opera music, it was still very cool!)...

Jenny used to be in our ward in NY and she is truly amazing!!

I sure wish I played an instrument...I just don't have the patience...

Yes! Yes! and YES about the good intentions getting the best of me...THAT, my friend, is what's keeping me up at night!! arghhhh...

I fear that I'm becoming known as a blogger flake... :(

jenn said...

Wow- she gets around! And a FREE concert- that is amazing! I've been there many times to have you take our pictures but never for a real event. How fun that you could do that. Looks like a delightful evening!

Rebekah said...

Outdoor activities are so fun, if the elements and the seating are working in your favor. Hearing music outside is great, it's like hearing a soundtrack to nature.

That's a great picture of the conductor! You should make it into a photo card and send it to him.

I really love the formal dresses that performers wear. They also seem to be so much *more* than regular formals.

Do my good intentions get the best of me? Hmm...No, they usually get the worst of me, and that's why they remain intentions only, and not actions.

everything pink! said...

ok, should I know who she is?

What a darling photo of your friend, he probably does not have any of himself conducting.

I have so many good intentions. some make it out of my head some don't

becca said...

Wow...that is really neat! I think my girls would like something like that...I need to expose them to more culture....