Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Resistance

This is a great book Randy discovered and read then passed on to me. I struggle off and on with a sort of creative neurosis (self-imposed of course) and go through phases of creativity and the lack thereof, but am definitely happier when something creative is in the works. The first topic this book addresses is Resistance which the author defines as The Enemy.

Resistance's Greatest Hits
  1. The pursuit of any calling in writing, painting, music, film, dance, or any creative art, however marginal or unconventional.
  2. The launching of any entrepreneurial venture or enterprise, for profit or otherwise.
  3. Any diet or health regimen.
  4. Any program of spiritual advancement.
  5. Any activity whose aim is tighter abdominals.
  6. Any course or program designed to overcome an unwholesome habit or addiction.
  7. Education of every kind.
  8. Any act of political, moral, or ethical courage, including the decision to change for the better some unworthy pattern of thought or conduct in ourselves.
  9. The undertaking of any enterprise or endeavor whose aim is to help others.
  10. Any act that entails commitment of the heart. The decision to get married, to have a child, to weather a rocky patch in a relationship.
  11. The taking of any principled stand in the face of adversity.
"In other words, any act that rejects immediate gratification in favor of long-term growth, health, or integrity. Or, expressed another way, any act that derives from our higher nature instead of our lower. Any of these will elicit Resistance." page 6

Isn't it great to be able to define it like that? I feel like I've been doing that a bit lately with my thoughts about "considering the source" whenever I try to talk myself out of doing something like going to church, going to the service project, getting up and going walking, etc. This reminds me of that post I wrote about choices and how our days are filled with the little choices that ultimately define us. I don't know why some people seem to have iron will born into their characters, and why others like me just don't. I guess that's one of my trials in life and the iron will people struggle with things that are easier for me (hmmm), I just wish I could get a little bit of that iron into my life.

These thoughts are coming both from a creative standpoint and from a physical one. This morning was day 3 of my early-morning walking with Randy and I must say it was tough. My legs are sore, my body didn't want to wake up at 6:15 this morning, that hill is still huge, and I haven't gone down in size yet so that makes me want to quit. (I should see results after a couple days shouldn't I? If not, that may be why I've never hung in there with any of my health kicks in the past.) But now I feel like I'm approaching everything from a Resistance point of view (that goes along so well with the idea of The Adversary). If someone is always trying to keep me from improving in my life, even when it feels like that someone is myself, then I need to approach all my choices with a more proactive point of view. (Duh!) I need to resist the resistance.

**What do you think and how do YOU
overcome the resistance you feel?**


11 comments:

Amie said...

Excellent. I always hear Charlie in my head talking about the natural man and being in control. I don't do so well with any of this. I am VERY impressed with your three days of walking with Randy...how were the shoes?

Jill said...

Much better than my old ones, but they didn't have that jet-powered feeling I was hoping they'd have.

michelle said...

I LOVE this post!

"In other words, any act that rejects immediate gratification in favor of long-term growth, health, or integrity. Or, expressed another way, any act that derives from our higher nature instead of our lower. Any of these will elicit Resistance."

I think this is a great definition of how the adversary works in our lives. He is always wanting us to choose our lower, natural man nature instead of our higher nature that, when we choose it, will always encourage us to a better path. Because the resistance is always there, it is much harder to choose this way. I have been thinking about this a lot lately, too, and I love the your excerpt from the book expresses it. When you look at it that way, why wouldn't we always be striving to choose the better part?

TX Girl said...

What a powerful quote. I too give in way too easy, and a lot of times it is because I don't see the quick fix or want to have some kind of reaffirmation of my decision. I totally agree with Michelle- this is all about the adversary and his continuous push towards immediate gratificaiton and the natural man. Thanks for getting me thinking this morning- I'm so going to Yoga today (I've been putting it off all week).

Amy said...

This sounds like a fabulous book! I think I've fallen prey to just about every one of Resistance's Greatest Hits. I'm the type of person who always sees the tree in the path to where I want to go, and abandons my pursuit. Fortunately, I'm married to Jeremy, who always looks a little off the path, finds a saw and gets to work clearing the way. I don't overcome resistance very often, but when I do it's because I'm responsible to someone else. Which is sad. Dr. Laura (yeah, I know) says that self esteem is continually impressing yourself--with your courage, your strength, your kindness, etc. Maybe the failure to overcome resistance is an indicator of lack of self esteem. Ultimately we should be more concerned with being accountable to ourselves and to Heavenly Father--not some external force. I think when we reach that point we become the kind of people who fight for the things that are right, and work for the the things that we really want (not necessarily material things, here) because we want to impress ourselves with our strength and give a good report to the only person who really matters in the end.

everything pink! said...

jill. the last book i read , The Brothers, is so interesting and gives such a real face to Satan. and made me realize that he does not want me to succeed in anything. i know that the trials i have, one being approving of my physical body keeps me from serving and doing more than i do now. Satan knows that and does not want me to take care of myself because is i do i will also take better care of others.
i know this probably doesn't make sense. reading that book has really changed me! but i have had to quit reading book two because two nights in a row i have nightmares about it. so i need to find something lighter. i better find it by tonight i can't imagine going to bed not reading. what a change for me.

becca said...

Great post and great inspiration!! Isn't true?? The things that are the hardest for me to do, the things I put off are the very things that would make me a better person! I can always see that AFTER the fact, but in the face of making the decision, it is tough. Thanks for the toughts--I needed them!

amy gretchen said...

something adam always says that has somehow been ingrain in me, "don't think, just do". The more you think the more likely you are going to come up with a reason to not do it.

Anyway it sounds like a good book so far. Would love to read it when your done.

Bond Girl 007 said...

Resistance has a double meaning because you can resist to do something you don't want to do or you can't resist to do it! So I think it is just doing it like Amy said...if you want it do it...and you won't do it unless you want it bad enough. But imagine what would life be without resistance???

Bond Girl 007 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I love this post and how you've easily drawn us to see the similarity between resistance and the influence of Satan. I don't seem to have much self control, chocolate anyone, but I have good intentions, and they say "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" What am I to do? How do I grow, change, learn and become more than what I am today? Maybe this is the age old question.